Friday, August 28, 2015

The Arcade Chicken and the Dragon Peepshow


Does anyone remember this place? I have the strangest recollection of going to this video arcade when it still had two of the oddest attractions I have ever seen - EVER.... One "game" was actually a live chicken in a box, who for a quarter would either pick your fortune or give you redeemable tickets (I can't remember exactly what it did) - and even more bizarre than THAT was in the back of this place... you'd drop a quarter in the wall and (sort of like a peepshow booth) a plastic window would rise up, exposing a glass one behind it, where you would peer down, literally into the basement, and see an actual life-size mechanical dragon!! As I recall it would move it's head and it's tail, (and perhaps it's wings?) and you'd hear the blaring soundtrack of some old Godzilla movie - that infamous Godzilla screech!! I remember getting up close to the glass, hoping to see more of the dragon - but the only extra surprises that revealed themselves were some boxes and a wash bucket with a mop in it - which no doubt were NOT intended as part of the illusion! I remember going back some years later and both the live chicken (probably due to PETA) and the dragon peep show were GONE... today I'm not even sure if the rest of this crowded little arcade is even still there anymore, but without the chicken and dragon it wouldn't be the same anyway.......


3 comments:

  1. Yes , been in there , that place was filled with those Chinese teen gangs , while your playing agame , they would come up to you with a cigerrette in their mouth and say " You must be tired of living" , Woooaaaa , Ha Ha !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez, I HOPE you're kidding about that! And so, besides the death threats and the dwarf with the machete - remember anything else? Perhaps a certain chicken and a big mechanical dragon behind glass? Or was that all just a fever dream?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think mayby I do remember the dragon but not sure , I don't think I ever went back there but it sounds familar when you did mention it.I was only 4 years old when I use to go there with my mother , she worked down near there and we use to go to eat at the Chinese restaurants around that area.

    ReplyDelete